Board of Review
Thursday, October 19 2006
TIME: 6:00-8:00 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Town Hall
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that pursuant to Sec. 70.45 of Wis. Statutes the assessment roll for the Year 2006 assessment will be open for examination on Wednesday, September 27 and Thursday, September 28th, 2006, from 10:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.., at the Taycheedah Town Hall, located at W4295 Kiekhaefer Parkway, Fond du Lac.
NOTICE IS HEREBY FURTHER GIVEN that the Board of Review for the Town of Taycheedah shall hold its first working meeting on Thursday, October 19th, 2006, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Taycheedah Town Hall.
Please be advised of the following requirements:
No person shall be allowed to appear before the Board of Review to testify to the Board by telephone or to contest the amount of any assessment of real or personal property if the person has refused a reasonable written request by certified mail of the Assessor to view such property.
After the first meeting of the Board of Review and before the Board’s final adjournment, no person who is scheduled to appear before the Board of Review may contact, or provide information to, a member of the Board about the person’s objection except at a session of the Board.
No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the Board by telephone or contest the amount of any assessment unless, at least 48 hours before the first meeting of the Board or at least 48 hours before the objection is heard, if the objection is allowed because the person has been granted a waiver of the 48-hour notice of an intent to file a written objection by appearing before the Board during the first two hours of the meeting and showing good cause for failure to meet the 48-hour notice requirement and files a written objection, that person must also provide to the Clerk of the Board of Review notice as to whether the person will ask for removal of any Board member and, if so, which member will be removed and the person’s reasonable estimate of the length of time that the hearing will take.
When appearing before the Board, the person shall specify, in writing, the person’s estimate of the value of the land and of the improvements that are the subject of the person’s objections and specify the information that the person used to arrive at that estimate.
No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the Board by telephone or object to a valuation; if that valuation was made by the Assessor or the Objector using the income method; unless the person supplies to the Assessor all of the information about income and expenses, as specified in the manual under Section 73.03(2a), that the Assessor requests. The municipality or county shall provide by ordinance for the confidentiality of information about income and expenses that is provided to the Assessor under this paragraph and shall provide exemptions for persons using the information in the discharge of duties imposed by law or of the duties of their office or by order of a court. The information that is provided under this paragraph, unless a court determines that it is inaccurate, is not subject to the right of inspection and copying under Section 19.35(1).
The Board shall hear upon oath, by telephone, all ill or disabled persons who present to the Board a letter from a physician, surgeon or osteopath that confirms their illness or disability. No other persons may testify by telephone.
Dated the 24th day of August, 2006.
Brenda A. Schneider, Town Clerk
The Town of Taycheedah Board of Review met on Thursday, October 19th, 2006, at 6:00 p.m., at the Town Hall. Members present were Jerry Guelig, Tim Simon, Mike Wirtz, John Abler, Jim Bertram and Brenda Schneider. Also present were the Town’s Assessor William J. Huck, Sr. and John Bodouski, Bowmar Appraisal, Inc.
Town Chairman Jerry Guelig called the Board of Review to order at 6:06 p.m.
Jim Bertram nominated Jerry Guelig as Board of Review Chairman, seconded by Tim Simon. Nomination carried (6-0).
Jerry Guelig nominated Jim Bertram as Vice Chairman of the Board of Review, seconded by Tim Simon. Nomination carried (6-0).
Jim Bertram and Brenda Schneider met the requirement of Board of Review certification on March 24th, 2006.
Notices of Assessment were mailed September 18th, 2006. Open Book changes were mailed.
The 2006 Assessment Roll was received and William Huck signed the Assessor’s Affidavit.
T20-16-18-99-WI-040-00 N7462 Winnebago Drive
Land: $112,500 Improvements: $247,500 Total: $360,000
Raymond Avery, Assessor William J. Huck, Sr. and John Bodouski, Bowmar Appraisal, Inc. were sworn in.
October 19th, 2006 Board of Review 2.
Raymond Avery’s testimony:
• Nation-wide decline in the real estate market.
• Nearby property sold approx. $100,000 over assessment.
• Question #5-Please state your opinion of the fair market value of the property as of January 1 was not answered. Mr. Avery’s verbal response was $223,300-the assessed value from 1999.
William Huck and John Bodouski’s testimony:
• N9020 Welling Beach Road-2,900 sq. ft- sold for $386,000
• N8692 Sylvan Bay-2,700 sq. ft- sold for $395,000
T20-16-18-20-15-004-00 W4204 Kiekhaefer Parkway
Land: $65,500 Improvements: $269,200 Total: $334,200
Land: $36,000 Improvements: $0 Total: $36,000
Pam Barthuly, Jorg Becker, Geoffrey Bares, William J. Huck, Sr. and John Bodouski were sworn in.
Ms. Barthuly’s testimony:
• She objects to the assessments on both parcels.
• She disputed Bowmar Appraisal’s comparables.
• She believes there is a math error regarding the average annual increase which overstated the value by $60,000.
• They purchased the property in 2002 for $264,000.
• The property was vacant for some time before they purchased it.
• The appraiser did not see the inside of the house.
• She verbally listed several defects and repairs needed.
• Question #9d-How much and what type of fire insurance is carried on the property? Ms. Barthuly’s verbal response was $370,000; which was recently increased to $438,000
Mr. Geoffrey Bares’ testimony:
• Appraised both parcels in January 2006.
• Total appraisal $303,000
• Appraisal of $303,000 based on the following sales:
o N8348 Edgewood Dr.-1,500 s.f./.9 acres-$286,100
o W4244 Kiekhaefer Pkwy.-2,400 s.f./5.3 acres-$298,600
o W3426 Golf Course Dr.-2,112 s.f./17.23 acres-$321,700
o W4014 Cty. WH-2,634 s.f./2.88 acres-$307,400
o N8151 Sunset Dr.-1,814 s.f./1.5 acres-$285,300
o N8670 Decorah Ln.-2,100 s.f./6.08 acres-$319,300
• All comparable sales were adjusted to accommodate the difference in the square footage and lot size of the Barthuly property.
William Huck and John Bodouski’s testimony:
• The home was physically measured from the outside.
• A postcard notice was mailed asking for the owner to schedule an appointment. No contact was made by the owner.
• All sales within the last three years were evaluated.
• The finished basement is shown on the appraisal at 100 sq. ft.
October 19th, 2006 Board of Review 3.
T20-16-18-29-16-007-00 N7720 Five View Road
Land: $45,000 Improvements: $175,800 Total: $220,800
Dale Diette, Assessor William J. Huck, Sr. and John Bodouski, Bowmar Appraisal, Inc. were sworn in.
Dale Diette’s testimony:
• June 4, 2003 appraisal by Christ Appraisal Service Inc., $195,000.
• He cited several defects and repairs needed.
• Question #5-Please state your opinion of the fair market value of the property as of January 1 was not answered. Mr. Diette’s verbal response was $198,000.
William Huck and John Bodouski’s testimony:
• The home was built in 1969. It is in average condition for its age. Two acres of land.
• The appraisal is 3 years old.
• The appraisal escalated at 4% per year would be $219,000.
BOARD DELIBERATIONS AND DETERMINATIONS:
William J. Huck, Sr and John Bodouski removed themselves from the room.
Raymond Avery’s property:
• Testimony leaned heavily on nation-wide decline in real estate values.
• Neighboring property sold for $100,000 over assess value.
• Other comparable sales were fair.
John Abler motioned to sustain the assessment, seconded by Jerry Guelig. Motion carried (6-0).
Pam Barthuly’s property:
• Comparable sales presented by the owner’s appraiser were insufficient to show that the assessment of comparable property in not uniform.
Mike Wirtz motioned to sustain the assessment, seconded by John Abler. Motion carried (6-0).
Dale Diette’s property:
• The owner’s appraisal is 3 years old.
• The owner’s appraisal escalated at 4% per year would be $219,000.
John Abler motioned to sustain the assessment, seconded by Jim Bertram. Motion carried (6-0).
Jim Bertram motioned to adjourn the 2006 Board of Review at 8:07 p.m., seconded by John Abler. Motion carried (6-0).
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home