Park & Rec. Advisory Committee
Monday, October 23 2006
TIME: 7:00 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Town Hall
Sledding Hill Shelter
Fence along Rob Schmitz’s property
Trails-maintenance, signs, old right-of-way
Emerald Ash borer
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Monday, October 23rd, 2006, at 7:00 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, John Abler, Lyle Nett, Orville Schmitz, Gary Morgan, Bob Roehrig and Secretary Brenda Schneider. Also present was Sam Tobias. Absent were Kim Bertram, John Rickert, John Morris, Linda Calvey, Ed Schneider, Tim Simon and Angie Prull.
1) Call to order. Chairperson Jewett called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m..
2) Discuss park projects and maintenance.
• Scenic Overlook. The State has granted the Town the authority to remove the Hwy. 151 access, develop a trail system and clean brush and remove trees. The State still will require permission to construct any structures. The Town Board is awaiting the receipt of the recorded document transferring ownership to the Town. The Committee would like to see the Town pursue eventual purchase of the Schmitz property adjacent to the Park and the Overlook.
• Sledding hill shelter. Tony Lemke, with the assistance of his parents Kevin and Kerrin, and friends have constructed a warming shelter by the sledding hill as an Eagle Scout project. Steel will be added to the roof and benches will be placed at various locations in the Park.
• Trail benches. See “sledding hill shelter”.
• Trail Markings. White, round cedar posts will be used. Installation of a majority of the markers will be a 2007 project. However, the ski trail will be marked before winter. Bob and Lyle will post no hunting signs.
• Lighting at the sled hill. The Committee discussed adding two lights near the sledding hill. There are telephone poles left over from the bridge project. The electricity could be extended from the salt shed. This will be a 2007 project.
• Enforcement. The Town Board has requested participation in the Municipal Court System. The Town Board is awaiting approval for all of the participating entities. Once accepted into the system, the Town’s Constable will have the authority to issue citations.
• Fence along Rob Schmitz’s property. The fence appears to have been cut and a portion of it is missing. The purchase agreement will be researched regarding the Town’s obligation to maintain a perimeter fence.
• Trails-maintenance, signs, old right-of-way. A portion of the former railroad right-of-way has become buried in silt. Lynn Mathias has suggested water-bars in the area. The Committee discussed scraping and removing the silt. Then filling in about 6” of crushed stone. The surface water needs to be diverted away from the trails in a couple of locations. This will be another 2007 project.
• Emerald Ash Borer. Parks in northern Illinois have abundant infestations of emerald ash borer. If it is detected, all ash within a half mile radius must be destroyed. The Committee will need to pay special attention to this threat.
• 2007 Budget. The 2007 Budget currently contains a $5,000.00 allocation for the Park. Projects for 2007 include fencing, lights, erosion control and trail signs. The St. Peter Lions Club had volunteered to assist with projects in the Overlook. They will be contacted regarding assistance.
• Trail Committee. A subcommittee consists of Earl Jewett, Bob Roehig and Sam Tobias.
3) Adjournment. The meeting adjourned at 8:27 p.m.
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home