Park & Rec Committee
Tuesday, March 13 2007
TIME: 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Town Hall
1) 2007 Park Budget
2) Entrance sign-notices
3) Trails signs, posts, planning
4) Clarification of winter horse riding rules
5) Prairie management
6) Erosion control
7) Spring projects
8) Scenic Overlook-brushing and tree removal
9) Perimeter fencing
11) Committee membership
12) April 28th Workday
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Tuesday, March 13th, 2007, at 6:30 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, John Abler, Orville Schmitz, Gary Morgen, Kim Bertram, Lyle Nett, Linda Calvey, John Morris, Ed Schneider and Secretary Brenda Schneider. Absent were Bob Roehrig, John Rickert, Tim Simon and Angie Prull.
Chairperson Jewett called the meeting to order at 7:04 p.m.
1) 2007 Park Budget. The 2007 Budget is $5,000.00.
2) Entrance sign-notices. Sam Tobias will be asked for design plans. Cost estimates will be compiled.
Trail signs, posts, planning. Some of the new trail signs/posts have been installed. They identify the trail types by color. The new signs being erected are 4” corrugated tiles. The Committee intends to install more trail signs this season.
Erosion problems exist on the trail south of the wooden foot bridge. Bob Roehrig and Earl Jewett will work on planning and re-routing some of the trails. Ed Schneider would be interested in assisting.
Some of the Committee members have GPS equipment. They will work on mapping the Park’s trail system.
The Committee may mount a donation box at the entrance of the Park.
The Committee discussed the soft spot in the railroad bed trail. A tile could be installed to divert water to the low area to the west. The Committee plans to lay the tiling during the summer dry season.
3) Clarification of winter horse riding rules. The Town Board deferred the issue to the Committee. At issue is whether or not horseback riding is allowed in the Park from November to April. The Committee discussed the incompatibility between horseback riding and snow sports; such as skiing and snowmobiling. John Abler motioned to present the following recommendation to the Town Board:
Section 12-1-1(c)(5), Riding of Horses. Riding horses between the hours of sunrise to sunset is permitted only on marked bridle paths, as allowed by posted signs. Horses are not permitted on trails from March 1 to May 1 or during times of wet soil conditions or when the park entrance is posted with a “trails are closed” sign. Riding of horses is also prohibited when trails are snow-covered. Orville Schmitz seconded the recommendation. Motion carried.
4) Prairie Management. Sam Tobias, with assistance from Earl Jewett and Brenda Schneider, burned the prairie during the spring of 2006. Sam Tobias will be asked whether or not the prairie should be burned this year. The Committee plans to establish a winding trail through the prairie this year.
5) Erosion Control. Sam Tobias recommends using water bars.
6) Spring Projects.
• Cut grass along the trails.
• Consider establishing a parking lot on the former dump site.
• Install lights by the sledding hill.
• Excavate and grade the west side of the sledding bowl.
• Install a bench in the sledding hill shelter.
7) Scenic Overlook. Abler Tree Service is willing to donate one day of brushing. Committee members will determine the amount of brushing that will be done.
The access onto Hwy. 151 will be eliminated.
The Park’s trail system will eventually be extended to the Overlook
8) Perimeter fencing. The fencing along the west property line, near the tower site, needs to be repaired or replaced.
9) Liability. Appointed officials of the Town of Taycheedah are covered by the Town’s Errors & Omission Policy. Also, statutes prevent individuals, acting on behalf of the Town, from being sued.
10) Committee Membership. The Committee reviewed the current mailing list of the Committee. The list was revised. The Town Board will appoint members to the Committee at their April meeting.
11) April 28th Workday. The rain date will be Sunday, April 29th. The Committee’s next meeting is scheduled for May 21st, at 6:30.
Orville Schmitz motioned to adjourn the meeting at 8:44 p.m., seconded by Ed Schneider. Motion carried.
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home