Board of Appeals
Wednesday, May 30 2007
TIME: 7:30 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on Wednesday, May 30th, 2007, at 7:30 p.m., the Town of Taycheedah Zoning Board of Appeals will conduct a public hearing on the renewal of the Conditional Use Permit granted to Daniel and Tim Simon and Northeast Asphalt, Inc. The Conditional Use Permit authorizes Simon to conduct mineral extraction operations on a parcel of land described as the SW ¼ of the NE ¼ of Section 16, T16N R18E, in the Town of Taycheedah, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin.
This hearing is open to the public.
Town Board members may be in attendance.
Brenda A. Schneider, Clerk
The Town of Taycheedah Zoning Board of Appeals conducted a public hearing on Thursday, May 30th, 2007, at 7:30 p.m., at the Taycheedah Town Hall for the purpose of considering the renewal of the Conditional Use Permit issued to Tim & Dan Simon and Northeast Asphalt, Inc.. Members present were Chairman James Rosenthal, John Buechel, Bob Holzman, Tom Friess, and Barb Bertram. The hearing was tape-recorded and the Secretary, Brenda Schneider, took notes. The Chairman called the public hearing to order at 7:33 pm. Brenda Schneider read the notice of public hearing.
Pete Kozak was sworn in. His testimony was as follows:
• He is the Site Manager for Northeast Asphalt, Inc. and has served in that capacity for approximately 8 months.
• The Simons are requesting a renewal of their current Conditional Use Permit (CUP); which was issued 6/16/03 for a term of four years.
• The Simons are requesting to increase the term of the CUP to 10 years.
• He is unaware of any written complaints or major issues.
• He has all of the previous records from his predecessor. He has spent considerable time studying the documents.
• The quarry’s hours of operation are Monday thru Friday, 7 am to 6 pm and Saturday, 7 am to 2 pm. Load-out and trucking only from 5-6 pm Monday thru Friday and noon-2 pm on Saturday.
• Based upon current market conditions he estimates the remaining materials in the quarry to last 10-20 years.
• He is aware of the reclamation requirements. Fond du Lac County is the enforcement agent for the areas opened after 8/1/01 and the Town of Taycheedah is the enforcement agent for the area opened prior to 8/1/01. A small area of reclamation was started this spring.
• Northeast and Evenson have developed good communication regarding the scheduling of blasting activity so that it doesn’t occur within 48 hours of either quarry. They include each other when sending written notices. They also call each other if necessary.
• In April, 2007, he received a phone call from a nearby property owner. The owner was concerned about his basement block wall. He met with Chuck Raynor. He looked at the wall. He followed-up the meeting with a certified letter. Mr. Raynor did not claim the letter so the Post Office returned it to him. There has been no further contact from Mr. Raynor.
• The Town Clerk does not recall any complaints.
Chuck Maxwell was sworn in. His testimony was as follows:
• He has been blasting in the quarry since 1993 or 94.
• He is aware of the notice and blasting requirements.
• They have developed a Notification List. Notices are sent stating that blasting activity will occur over a specific period of time.
• Shots are adjusted based upon the seismograph readings at the closest dwelling. All shots have been well below the maximum allowable level.
• Three seismographs are set-up for all blasts. One each at the former Lambrecht property, the Orville Freund property and at the Wollersheim property.
• He is aware of Chuck Raynor’s complaint. He also received a call from Mr. Wollersheim last year. Mr. Wollersheim thought the blasts were a little strong. The weather can make blasts feel stronger even though they aren’t.
• Pre-blast inspections are done on a six year cycle.
• He or his assistant, Brian Young, blast Monday thru Friday from 7 am to 5 pm. They don’t blast on Saturdays.
May 30th, 2007 Board of Appeals 2.
Tim & Dan Simon Conditional Use Permit Renewal
Tim Simon was sworn in. His testimony was as follows:
• The current hours of operation are acceptable.
John Buechel motioned to renew the Conditional Use Permit issued to Tim & Dan Simon and Northeast Asphalt, Inc., for a term of 10 years, with hours of operation to continue as Monday thru Friday, 7 am to 6 pm, with load-out and hauling only from 5 pm to 6 pm and Saturday, 7 am to 2 pm, with load-out and hauling only from 12 pm to 2 pm, seconded by Bob Holzman. Roll call vote:
Barb Bertram yes
John Buechel yes
Tom Friess yes
Bob Holzman yes
Jim Rosenthal yes Motion carried (5-0).
Barb Bertram motioned to adjourn the public hearing at 7:58 p.m., seconded by John Buechel. Motion carried (5-0).
Brenda A. Schneider
Appeals Board Secretary
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home