Park & Rec. Committee
Monday, September 15 2008
TIME: 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
1) Discuss 2008 projects:
a) Hermanns Park development.
b) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects.
2) Public Comments.
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Monday, September 15th, 2008, at 6:30 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, Laura Pierret, Lyle Nett, Janet Velasco, Gary Morgen, John Abler and Secretary Brenda Schneider. Absent were Jim Bertram, John Rickert, John Morris, Bob Roehrig, Kim Bertram, and Ed Schneider. Also present was John Schrum.
Chairperson Jewett called the meeting to order.
Treasurer Kathy Diederich estimates the remaining park budget balance to be $8,391.00.
1) Discuss 2008 projects;
a) Hermanns Park Development:
i) The fund raising letter has raised approximately $3,500 and the can drive has netted $129.00.
ii) Discussed other possible fund raising projects:
(1) Rummage sale in the spring.
(2) Babysitting service in Nov. for holiday shopping.
(a) College and university students need public service hours.
(3) Flamingo flocking would be pricey if we have to rent the flamingos.
(4) Winterfest-snow snake races, snow putt putt, snowshoeing, sleigh rides, hot cocoa, etc.
iii) August 7th, two cub scouts, with adult assistance, built, donated and delivered two picnic tables.
iv) The sandbox needs sand. The digger toy has been ordered. Hermanns’ Construction will donate the toy. Edging needs to be installed around the back of the sandbox.
v) A butterfly garden may be planted around the back and sides of the sign.
vi) The rubberized chips for the playground equipment fall zone area was quoted at $7,200.00. The group discussed various alternatives. Laura Pierret moved to use sand as fall zone material, seconded by John Schrum. Motion carried.
vii) Installation of playground equipment was planned for October 4th, at 8:00 a.m.
viii) The group discussed fencing along CTH QQ.
(1) The last committee consensus was to plant a hedge. However, a hedge would be vulnerable to salt.
(2) Green, 4-foot cyclone fence from Searl was estimated to cost $4,000.00.
(3) 4”x4” posts with holes bored through with a heavy rope or a cable running from one to another was discussed.
(4) A berm through the tree-line would slow balls rolling toward the road, it would create an obstacle that would slow down small children running toward the road and wouldn’t limit parents’ vision and wouldn’t create an obstacle for parents’ when reacting to small children running toward the road. It was noted that Fond du Lac County Highway Dept. has posted advisory 25 mph signs.
b) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects:
i) The historical sign provide and installed by Leadership Fond du Lac has been vandalized. Lyle Nett was able to repair the sign and has mounted plexi-glass over it. The sign will re-located to a more visible location. Leadership Fond du Lac has approximately $500 in remaining funds. They have offered to pay for the repairs to the sign. Any remaining funds could be donated to the Town in the form of a gift certificate. The group discussed possibly using the funds to purchase dedication plaques for Orville’s Overlook.
ii) Sledding bowl lights. Janet Velasco has contacted an electrician that is willing to donate the lamps and timers for two poles. The poles could be donated by the City of Fond du Lac. The pole donation needs to be coordinated with the lamp donation. Electricity would be extended from the salt shed. The maximum capacity needs to be determined before pursuing the project further.
iii) Trail system-Earl Jewett and Bob Roehrig are working on a segregated trail system with signage. It was noted that several of the existing trails need to be mowed more often.
September 17th, 2008 Park & Rec. Advisory Council 2.
iv) Erosion control is needed at the area below the north end of the railroad bed. Deep ruts have formed. Water needs to be diverted across the trail. A buried pipe across the trail is needed.
v) Benches could be added at the sledding bowl and other locations within the Park.
vi) Future bathroom-Janet Velasco will research Code requirements.
Park & Recreation Plan-Ed Schneider will be asked to review the current draft.
2) Public Comment. None given.
No future meetings were scheduled.
3) Adjournment. John Abler moved to adjourn at 7:52 p.m., seconded by Lyle Nett. Motion carried.
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home