Park & Rec Committee
Thursday, April 16 2009
TIME: 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
1) Discuss 2009 projects:
a) Hermanns Park development.
b) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects.
2) Review the Outdoor Recreation and Open Space Plan.
3) Public Comments.
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Thursday, April 16th, 2009, at 6:30 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, John Rickert, Laura Pierret, John Abler and Secretary Brenda Schneider. Also present was Judy Bertram. Absent were Jim Bertram, Ed Schneider, Janet Velasco, Gary Morgen, John Morris, Bob Roehrig, Kim Bertram and Lyle Nett.
Chairperson Jewett called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
1) Discuss 2009 projects
a) Hermanns Park:
(1) Judy Bertram has secured a $300 grant for plantings.
(2) The group plans to purchase 48 shrubs along CTH QQ for form a natural hedge.. The 4-H kids will help with planting. An auger will be used to bore the holes. The Committee will see if the Boy Scouts would also like to assist.
(3) Ledgeland Landscaping will position a few pieces of ledge rock in front of the sign.
(4) A butterfly garden will be established around the sign. The soil will be tested to determine fertilizer needs. Ann Hanson will provide assistance with landscaping work.
(5) Planting a hedge along CTH QQ was proposed. The hedge would be bare-root, salt tolerant plants.
(6) Additional wood chips are needed around the playground equipment.
(7) There is an interest in donating a flagpole. The Committee consensus was to locate the pole to the east of the sign.
(8) Ledgeland intends to seed the low area near the center of the lot.
(9) The Netts are donating several large evergreens that will be planted along the east border. Tim Preston will donate tree moving services. The work is expected to be completed by the end of the week.
(10) Committee briefly discussed developing a donation list.
b) Kiekhaefer Park:
(1) Sled hill lights--
(a) Earl met with an engineer from Alliant to plan the service extension. The cost may be $1,100 for the extension and a transformer. Earl is looking into a discount opportunity.
(b) All three lights would be on motion sensitive timers.
(c) The City of Fond du Lac will donate used light poles.
(d) John Aber motion to contract with Alliant to install a transformer and run the service for the $1,100 quote and to locate the transformer at the gate, seconded by John Rickert. Motion carried.
(2) Silica Road parking lot—
(a) A couple of Committee members performed a site visit.
(b) It was determined that a better location would be to the east. This would enable improved visibility and better access to Silica Road.
(c) The clay cap covering the former dump site would need to be located.
(d) If allowed by the DNR, the topsoil could be stripped and used for a berm surrounding the lot. An opening in the berm could be located at the southeast corner to allow for drainage and a pedestrian walk-way. Fill could also be used for a berm.
(e) The existing gate to the brush site would remain in its current location.
(f) The Committee will utilize recycled gravel from the turbine project to create a 50’x50’ parking lot.
(g) The Committee may be able to obtain fill material from the Hwy. 151 project.
(3) Retention Area—The newly created retention area needs to be seeded/matted. The Committee is concerned about projects in the Park that are done without Park Committee knowledge. Earl will communicate with Mike Sabel.
(4) Scenic Overlook—
(a) The Committee intends to extend the upper drive to Kiekhaefer Parkway; also using recycled gravel.
April 16th, 2009 Park & Rec. Advisory Council 2.
(b) The State will be reconstructing Hwy. 151 this year. The contractor will need to build borrow ponds for the fill material. The State will be contacted regarding a pond at the lower level of the Overlook.
(5) Work Day—planned projects are as follows:
(a) Trail trimming.
(b) Collect sumac seeds on the prairie.
(c) Control sumac, aspen and honeysuckle in the prairie.
(d) Cut and remove fallen trees at the sledding hill.
(6) Bird houses—The Scouts will be asked to consider building more birdhouses.
2) Review the Outdoor Recreation and Open Space Plan. Review was postponed to a future meeting.
3) Public Comment. None given.
4) Adjournment. John Rickert motioned to adjourn at 7:48 p.m., seconded by Laura Pierret. Motion carried.
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home