Board of Appeals
Tuesday, June 9 2009
TIME: 7:00 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Zoning Board of Appeals of the Town of Taycheedah, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, will conduct a public hearing at the Taycheedah Town Hall, W4295 Kiekhaefer Parkway, on Tuesday, June 9th, 2009, at 7:00 p.m., for the purpose of considering a variance request submitted by Dan & Kathy Diederich. Mr. & Mrs. Diederich request an exception to the following sections of the Town of Taycheedah Code of Ordinances for an addition to their home: Section 13-1-24(f)(3), Highway Setbacks; Section 13-1-42(d)(6)(a), Sideyard Setbacks; and Section 13-1-80(a)(1), Continuation of an Existing Noncomforming Structure.
The proposed addition to the primary structure would have a reduced front setback and would maintain the current reduced sideyard setback. Note: The addition would meet the averaging exemption for front yard setbacks as stated in Section 13-1-24(f)(3)(c).
The property is located at the W3760 Cty. WH.
All effected and interested parties are encouraged to attend and be heard. The Town Board members may be in attendance.
Brenda A. Schneider
Secretary of Appeals Board
The Town of Taycheedah Board of Appeals conducted a public hearing on Tuesday, June 9th, 2009, at the request of Dan & Kathy Diederich. Mr. & Mrs. Diederich request a variance to Section 13-1-24(f)(3)(a), Highway Setbacks, Section 13-1-48(d)(6)(a), Side Yard Setbacks, and Section 13-1-80(f)(3), Continuation of an Existing Nonconforming Structure, of the Town of Taycheedah's Code of Ordinances, to allow for the addition to an existing garage that would have a reduced front setback and continuation of a reduced side yard setback. Members present were Chairman James Rosenthal, John Buechel, Tom Friess, Gale Burg and Barb Bertram.
The Secretary, Brenda Schneider, taped recorded the hearing and took notes.
The Chairman called the public hearing to order at 7:53 p.m..
The Secretary read the notice.
Dan Diederich and Kathy Diederich were sworn in. Their testimony was as follows:
• Their hardship is a limitation to be able to expand in any other direction other than toward the street. The well is to the south and the structure is 7 feet from the west lot line.
• He plans to build a 2-car attached garage 24 feet wide and a maximum of 12 feet deep. The addition would be in front of the existing garage.
• The addition would have a 72 foot setback from the center of the road.
• The addition would maintain the existing 7 foot side setback.
• There are two large evergreens in the front yard.
• The proposed use of the addition will be for garage. A portion of the existing garage will be remodeled into a dining room.
• The well is 4 feet off the back of the existing garage.
• The front of the house will remain as is.
• They plan to retain the retaining wall.
• They are working with an engineer to determine the best pitch and design of the roof.
• The sidewalls will maintain existing height.
Appeals Board members questioned the assessment of the property. Extensive discussion regarding the 50% rule applied to nonconforming structures. The first garage addition was estimated at $6,000 to 8,000. It was estimated that the addition cannot exceed $51,000.
Members discussed an averaged front setback of 61 feet could be applied. A variance was also needed due to the nonconforming structure issue.
No one appeared in opposition to the variance.
John Buechel motioned to approve the variance as requested due to the restriction caused by the well location and the inability to add to the west. The motion was seconded by Gale Burg.
Roll call vote:
Tom Friess aye
Barb Bertram aye
John Buechel aye
Gale Burg aye
Jim Rosenthal aye Motion carried unanimously (5-0).
The Diederichs were informed of the requirement to obtain a building permit. They were also advised of the need to substantially begin the project within six month and keep the project below 50% of the value of the home.
June 9th, 2009 Board of Appeals 2.
Dan & Kathy Diederich-front and side setbacks and enlargement of a nonconforming structure
Gale Burg motioned to adjourn the public hearing at 8:34 p.m., seconded by Jim Rosenthal. Motion carried (5-0).
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home