Park & Rec Committee
Thursday, April 1 2010
TIME: 6:00 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
1) Discuss 2010 projects:
a) Budget review.
b) Hermanns Park maintenance and projects.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects.
d) Volunteer Workdays
2) Review the Outdoor Recreation & Open Space Plan.
3) Public Comments.
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, at 6:00 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, John Abler, Ed Braun and Brenda Schneider. Also present was Cindi Goebel. Absent were: John Rickert, Bob Roehrig, Jim Bertram, Ed Schneider, Janet Velasco, Jason Meyer, Laura Pierret, Frank & Mary Alaniz, and Gary Morgen.
Chairperson Jewett called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
1) Discuss 2010 projects
a) Budget review: The 2010 budget allocates $14,000 for the Parks Department; including the pending land purchase.
b) Hermanns Park maintenance and projects:
(1) Project has been completed.
(2) All costs were reimbursed as a donation by Adolph & Ginny Schneider.
(1) One or two benches will be purchased with donated funds.
(1) Committee is awaiting a report from the Town Treasurer.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects:
i) Winter use issues.
(1) Need to deter use of the west slope due to safety concerns and erosion problems.
(2) Complaints have been received regarding pedestrians using groomed ski trails.
(a) Most users respect the signs.
(b) Future issuance of citations.
(1) The Trail Group consisting of Bob Roehrig, Ed Schneider, Dave Sehloff, Dustin Nalley and Earl Jewett recently evaluated trail use using the philosophy of designating, creating and maintaining sustainable trails.
(a) Sustainable trails will
(i) Protect the terrain and the unique nature of Kiekhaefer Park,
(ii) Minimize user-caused erosion,
(iii) Meet the needs of appropriate users,
(iv) Require little maintenance, and
(v) Minimize conflict between user groups.
(2) Segregating trails for horses, bikers and hikers.
(3) The Group is in the process of naming some of the trails.
(a) Orville’s Pass-horseback trail has been designated and marked.
(b) Other trails could be dedicated to Carl Kiekhaefer and Derek Dobogai.
(i) Committee discussed performing a dedication ceremony on Memorial Day.
1. Information regarding the individuals would be posted on the back of the kiosk.
iii) Neighbor concerns.
(1) A couple of adjoining neighbors have experienced trespassers.
(a) At least one has been a victim of petty theft.
(b) Both neighbors have lightly used paths from their property to the Park boundary.
(c) Small signs marking the Park boundary will be installed.
iv) Historical sign.
(1) Committee will do some plantings and landscaping.
v) Entrance sign.
(1) Committee will explore the possibility of planting two evergreens behind the sign.
vi) North parking area.
(1) A 60’x60’ area has been selected.
(2) Three box elder trees along the fence need to be removed.
(3) The estimate for excavation and gravel is $1,000.
vii) Debris dumping in burn area.
(1) Slabs of concrete and boulders have been dumped at the site by unknown sources.
(2) The gate needs to be locked at all times.
April 1st, 2010 Park & Rec. Advisory Council 2.
viii) Brush piles in wayside.
(1) Mike Sabel plans to perform a controlled burn in the near future.
d) Volunteer Workdays—
(1) April 10, 8:30-10:30
(2) May 8th, 8:30-10-30
(a) Workday projects:
(i) Invasive plant control
(ii) Litter removal
(iii) Trail signs
(iv) Shelter graffiti remediation
(v) Erosion control
2) Review the Outdoor Recreation & Open Space Plan. The Committee dispensed with the review of the Plan.
3) Public Comment. Ed Schneider is in the process of making donation canisters.
4) Adjournment. Chairman Jewett declared the meeting adjourned at 648 p.m.
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home