Park & Rec Committee
Thursday, May 27 2010
TIME: 6:00 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
1) Discuss 2010 projects:
a) Budget review.
b) Hermanns Park maintenance and projects.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects.
d) Volunteer Workdays
2) Public Comments.
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Thursday, May 27th, 2010, at 6:00 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, Dave Sehloff, Ed Braun, Tom Letkewicz, Mike Wirtz and Clerk Brenda Schneider. Absent were: John Abler, Cindi Goebel, John Rickert, Bob Roehrig, Jim Bertram, Ed Schneider, Janet Velasco, Jason Meyer, Dustin Nalley, and Gary Morgen. Also present was Janet French.
Chairperson Jewett called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m.
1) Discuss 2010 projects
a) Budget review: The 2010 budget allocates $14,000 for the Parks Department; including pending land purchases. The expendable allotment for the parks is estimated at $8,000.00. Year-to-date expenses and projected year-end costs total $7,422.05; which includes construction of the Silica Road parking lot for Kiekhaefer Park.
b) Hermanns Park maintenance and projects:
(1) Flagpole light needs adjustment.
(2) Play ground needs more woodchips.
(3) Committee is awaiting a report regarding donated funds from the Town Treasurer.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects:
(1) The first workday had 14 volunteers; the second workday was rescheduled due to rain. Only three volunteers were available for the rescheduled date.
(2) The local bicycle club assisted with bike trail maintenance during the first workday.
(3) A fall workday will be established in October for the primary purpose of buckthorn removal.
ii) Neighbor concerns.
(1) A neighbor has requested a visual screen between the overlook and Kiekhaefer Parkway. A visual screen on Park property will reduce vision for patrolling. The neighbor will be advised to plant a visual screen on his property. It was noted that evening use of the Park has decreased; believed to be due to County Sheriff’s Dept. patrolling.
(2) Campfire residue has been found in spots.
(3) The lock on the gate at the Silica Road entrance has been changed.
(4) Private Property signs will be posted along the perimeter of the Park at certain locations.
(1) The garbage can needs to be emptied more often.
(2) The placement of the recycling bin at the main entrance will be explored.
(3) Re-locating the Town’s dumpster to the main entrance will be explored.
(1) Naming trails.
(a) The Town Board has approved a resolution naming a trail after Derek Dobogai, E.C. Kiekhaefer and Orville Schmitz. The Committee intends to conduct a dedication ceremony in the future.
(a) Additional signage has been posted closing specific trails to bikers and horses due to erosion problems. Two of the signs have disappeared. Some bikes ignore the signs.
(b) Some of the mountain bikers continue to create unauthorized trails. Chairman Jewett has instructed them to cease this activity.
(c) Safety and erosion control are priorities.
(a) A tile needs to be laid across the main railroad bed trail. Jim Bertram will be asked about the accessibility of a mini-excavator.
(1) Ed Schneider is in the process of making a donation canister for Hermanns Park and one for Kiekhaefer Park.
(2) The Committee hopes to raise funds for a bathroom at Kiekhaefer Park.
(i) The County would permit a pit-type toilet connected to a holding tank.
(ii) Committee recommended a porta-potty on a trial basis from June thru September at an estimated cost of $40 per month.
May 27th, 2010 Park & Rec. Advisory Council 2.
(3) Fond du Lac Festivals is investigating the use of the Park for outdoor concerts. This is a potential fund-raising event.
vi) North parking area.
(1) A 60’x60’ area has been selected.
(2) Tree removal is underway.
(3) Excavating is expected to begin next week.
(4) Used guardrails from Winnebago Drive will be used as a perimeter fence.
(5) The estimate for excavation and gravel is $1,000.
(1) The Committee will verify that the snowmobile club is still interested in donating a couple of benches.
(1) Vandalism has noticeably increased.
(2) Committee will finish updating revised signs.
(3) The graffiti on the sledding hill shelter will be sanded, re-stained and re-painted.
(4) Community service time could be contributed to park projects.
d) Volunteer Workdays—
(1) At least one day will be scheduled in the fall.
(a) Workday projects:
(i) Buckthorn removal.
2) Public Comment. None was presented.
3) Adjournment. Chairman Jewett declared the meeting adjourned at 7:17 p.m.
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home