Park & Rec Committee
Thursday, July 22 2010
TIME: 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
1) Discuss 2010 projects:
a) Budget review.
b) Hermanns Park maintenance and projects.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects.
d) Volunteer Workdays
2) Public Comments.
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Thursday, July 22nd, 2010, at 6:30 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, Mike Wirtz, Ed Braun, John Abler, Janet Velasco, Bob Roehrig, Jim Bertram, John Rickert and Clerk Brenda Schneider. Absent were Dave Sehloff, Tom Letkewicz, Cindi Goebel, Ed Schneider, Jason Meyer, Dustin Nalley and Gary Morgen.
Chairman Jewett called the meeting to order at 6:48 p.m.
1) Discuss 2010 projects
a) Budget review: The 2010 budget allocates $14,000 for the Parks Department; including pending land purchases. The expendable allotment for the parks is estimated at $8,000.00. During the year, the second payment toward the parking lot lights was made, the Gator was purchased and the Silica Road parking lot was constructed. A year-to-date report of revenue/expenses and projected year-end balances was not available.
b) Hermanns Park maintenance and projects:
(1) The woodchips in the playground area need to be replenished. The Committee will request an accounting of the donation fund from the Town Treasurer.
(2) The flagpole light still needs adjustment.
(3) The Town will be asked to survey the trees for trimming needs.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects:
i) Trail report.
(1) The mountain bike and bridle trails have been closed most of the summer due to trail conditions.
(2) The mosquito population has been bad.
(3) Trail naming designation:
(a) John Abler will contact the American Legion for availability. He is also working on a helicopter fly-over.
(b) Tentatively planned for Saturday, September 11th, or August 22nd, at 1:00 p.m.
(c) Refreshments will be provided.
(d) A replica of the trail sign will be presented to each family.
(e) The Committee developed a preliminary plan for the ceremony.
(1) Aaron Dekker will work on an Eagle Scout project on August 21st. Chairman Jewett plans to have them work on removing woody plants from the prairie. He will also recommend returning for additional plant removal one month later.
iii) Sledding hill shelter.
(1) The sledding hill shelter will be sanded and re-painted/re-stained before the dedication ceremony.
(1) Mike Sabel dumped woodchips over the upper edge of the west ravine in hopes of stabilizing the soil. The area needs grass seed.
v) Silica Road parking area.
(1) The parking lot surface has been completed.
(2) Perimeter fencing of boulders needs to be installed.
vi) Brush Site.
(1) The soil piles have been leveled.
vii) Right of Way trail.
(1) The Committee is waiting for the rain to end.
(2) Jim Bertram has access to a mini-backhoe for the installation of a drain tile.
viii) Restroom facilities.
(1) Porta potty. The Committee approved earlier this year the set-up of a porta potty for a few months as a trial. Due to budgetary concerns, the porta potty was not ordered.
(2) There are grant opportunities for the construction of restroom facilities. The application is due May 1st.
(3) Janet Velasco obtained an estimate of $23,800 for a pre-fabricated concrete bathroom, excluding permit, excavating and backfill. The Committee preferred building a 12x12 concrete block structure with a wooden roof at much less cost. The structure would be connected to a holding tank and would function like an out-house.
July 22nd, 2010 Park & Rec Advisory Committee 2.
(1) Ed Schneider offered to make a donation canister for Hermanns Park and one for Kiekhaefer Park. Chairman Jewett has been unable to contact Ed for a status report.
(2) Janet Velasco is hoping to schedule a golf outing.
(3) John Abler has been contacted by a group interested in installing a disc golf course. The club would set up the course. The Town would generate revenue from the players.
(4) There has been no additional information regarding an interest in holding concerts in the Park.
2) Public Comment. None was presented.
3) Adjournment. Chairman Jewett declared the meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home