Park & Rec Committee
Tuesday, December 14 2010
TIME: 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
1) Review 2011 projects:
a) Budget review.
b) Hermanns Park maintenance and projects.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects.
• Mountain bike race proposal
• Snowmobile trail excavation
• Winter management
d) Volunteer Workdays.
2) Public Comments.
Brenda A. Schneider
The Park & Rec. Advisory Council met on Tuesday, December 14th, 2010, at 6:30 p.m., at the Town Hall. Present were Chairperson Earl Jewett, Jim Bertram, John Abler, Bob Roehrig, Gary Morgen and Clerk Brenda Schneider. Absent were: John Rickert, Mike Wirtz, Dave Sehloff (excused), Ed Braun, Janet Velasco, Tom Letkewicz, Cindi Goebel, Ed Schneider, Jason Meyer, and Dustin Nalley.
Chairman Earl Jewett called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
1) Discuss 2011 projects
a) Budget Review: The Adopted 2011 budget approved by the Electors during the annual Budget Hearing allowed for the transfer of $2,683.42 into the park’s budget. Additional allocations included in the 2011 Budget are the following:
• $4,000 for land purchase in Kiekhaefer Park,
• $2,000 for donated benches in Hermanns Park,
• $600.00 for woodchips and concrete in Hermanns Park, and
• $900.00 for the dumpster and materials for donation canisters.
The additional allocation will be used for electricity for the Kiekhaefer Park lights and a few maintenance and repair projects.
The above noted allocations do not include the Fisherman’s Road Boat Launch. The Launch has its own budget.
b) Hermanns Park Maintenance and projects: 2011 planned projects included the installation of four donated benches and restocking of woodchips in the playground area.
c) Kiekhaefer Park maintenance and projects:
Kiekhaefer Classic Bike Race proposal presented by Gloria West, Director of Midwest Sports Events; and Team Fond du Lac Cyclery Members Dave Hornung, John Bartow, Nick Sabel and Shawn Hoppe. The group requests approval to conduct a race as part of the annual Race the Lake event. Details presented were as follows:
• Date-Saturday, August 20, 2011, beginning at 8:00 a.m.
• Participation limited to 200 bikers; with a possible increase in future years.
• 5 mile race using the existing trail system.
• The Team would construct and install obstacles and mark the race course.
• The Team would supply labor for set-up and clean-up. They will remove all trash.
• The Team consists of approximately 20 people and the FdL biking group is another 50 people.
• Modifications to the obstacles and the course will be made in the event of wet conditions.
• Organizers estimate a need for parking of 75 vehicles. They would use the parking lots at the Town Hall and the Scenic Overlook. Some racers will use the Park & Ride and ride their bikes to the Park.
• The Team would provide $1 million liability insurance.
• A portion of the proceeds from the event will be donated to the Town for park maintenance.
• If approved, the course would be planned by Ms. West; and assistance requested from Randy Wagner and Jerry Wilderman, DNR.
• The course will be planned to create as much separation as possible between the racers and other park uses.
The request will need approval from the Town Board. The group intends to make a presentation during their January meeting.
Bob Roehrig moved to support the Kiekhaefer Classic for 2011 and to recommend the Town Board approve the request, seconded by Gary Morgen. Motion carried.
Mr. Hornung offered to provide guidance, labor and technical support for an “adopt a park” program for the development and sustainability of the Park’s trail system. Further discussion on this topic will take place at a later date.
December 14th, 2010 Park & Rec. Committee 2.
Snowmobile trail excavation. Dale Driscoll and Doug Simon explained that the upper third of the project was not done per the communication he had with Mr. Jewett. It was determined that the route needed to be altered slightly due to the steep slope.
The new route needs to be cleaned-up and seeded.
The new route bisects a main mountain bike trail. The bike trail will have to be diverted for a couple of years to allow time for vegetation to stabilize the soil. The Club will take care of blocking the bike trail in spring.
The Club expects the new trail be a two year project. Club members were advised to communicate with the Committee as the project progresses.
Winter Management. Members will begin the ski trail grooming season tomorrow.
Logging. Mark Kirschling will be contacting regarding the possibility of logging some of the Park.
Donation canister. Ed Schneider constructed and delivered a donation canister. The canister has been installed near the gate.
Garbage. The garbage cans are overflowing again. The cans will be removed to see if folks take their garbage home with them.
Deer hunting. Individuals reportedly were deer hunting in the Park during gun season last month. Enforcement was discussed.
Gary Morgen moved to request the Town Board grant citation authority to Park & Rec Committee members for the issuance of citations for violations of the park ordinance, seconded by Earl Jewett. Motion carried unanimously.
Disc Golf. There has been no further contact from the group.
Silica Road parking lot. The used guardrail has been installed as a perimeter fence.
Scenic Overlook. The lower potion has been brushed out.
Land purchase. During the annual budget hearing, the Electors authorized the purchase of 4.8 acres of land from Schmitz.
Tax bill insert. The tax bills will include an information insert regarding the Town’s park system.
Dedicated trail signs. The signs have been vandalized and/or stolen. Bob Roehrig has been monitoring their replacement.
d) Volunteer Workdays. Workdays for 2011 will be planned in the spring.
2) Public Comment. None was presented.
3) Adjournment. Chairman Jewett declared the meeting adjourned at 8:04 p.m.
Brenda A. Schneider, Clerk
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home