Board of Appeals
Thursday, July 7 2011
TIME: 7:00 p.m.
LOCATION: at the Taycheedah Town Hall
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the Town of Taycheedah Zoning Board of Appeals will conduct a public hearing on Thursday, July 7th, 2011, at 7:00 p.m., at the Taycheedah Town Hall, W4295 Kiekhaefer Parkway, Fond du Lac, for the purpose of considering temporary and permanent amendments to the Conditional Use Permit issued to Summit Quarry and Evenson Construction Co., Inc., to conduct mineral extraction operations on real estate located in part of the NE 1/4 of the NW 1/4 and the NW 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of Section 15, T16N, R18E, Town of Taycheedah, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin. The Conditional Use Permit to quarry applies to 34.286 acres of property.
Temporary and permanent amendments are requested due to impacts caused by the CTH Q reconstruction project.
The public hearing is open to the public.
All interested parties are encouraged to attend.
A quorum of Town Board members may be in attendance.
Brenda A. Schneider
Secretary, Board of Appeals
The Town of Taycheedah Board of Appeals conducted a public hearing on Thursday, July 7th, 2011, at 7:00 p.m., on behalf of Dave & Dan Bertram, d.b.a. Summit Quarry, and Evenson Construction Co., Inc.. They requested temporary and permanent amendments to their Conditional Use Permit to quarry due to potential impacts caused by reconstruction of County Road Q. Members present were: Chairman Gale Burg, Jim Rosenthal, John Buechel and Erv Karls. The Secretary, Brenda Schneider, recorded the hearing and took notes.
Chairman Burg called the hearing to order at 7:01 p.m.. The Secretary read the notice.
Pat Strachan, representing Evenson Construction Co., Inc., was sworn in. His testimony and responses to Board of Appeals members questions were as follows:
• The CTH Q reconstruction project is planned to begin July 25th.
• The County plans to significantly reduce the hill by the quarry.
• The project is not expected to affect quarry operations.
• Ingress and egress to the pit will be used by the Bertrams, their visitors and their employees.
• The blasting of the hill's rock will be done by others.
• Evenson plans to blast in the quarry tomorrow and Monday.
• Evenson may use Bertram's lower driveway for ingress and egress as needed during the hill reduction portion of the CTH Q project.
• The fill material from the roadway will be used in the pit for berming and restoration.
• It is estimated that the removal of fill material from the roadway will take one week and the blasting of the roadway will take two weeks.
• The blasted stone material will be brought into the pit for crushing and stockpiling.
• The upper entrance to the quarry is not planned to be affected by the project.
• The quarry is expected to operate as normal during the project.
Paul Sponholz, Engineer, Fond du Lac County Highway Department, was sworn in. His testimony and responses to Board of Appeals members questions were as follows:
• He concurs with Pat Strachan's testimony.
• The contract was awarded to Denny Rahn.
• The contract work schedule is 6:30 am to 5:00 pm.
• The County has obtained additional right-of-way. It is 50' at its' widest point.
• They plan to reduce the hill by 10 feet.
• The upper farm entrance will be closed during the project.
• They plan to start July 25th, contingent upon the utility relocation.
• The project, per contact, is predicted to take 30 working days, excluding bad weather days. The contractor does have the ability to work Saturdays, if needed.
Chairman Rosenthal opened the public hearing for statements and questions for Evenson and the County.
Dan Freund was sworn in. His statements and questions were as follows:
• Mr. Freund questioned the periods of blasting
o Quarry blasting will follow the Conditional Use Permit.
o Highway project blasting is predicted to occur between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm. The blaster needs to complete three shots a day in order to stay on schedule. Weather delays may require shots to be fired later than 6:00 pm.
o It was noted that hours of operation limitation referenced in the Town's Zoning Code do not apply to temporary blasting permits.
July 7, 2011 Board of Appeals 2.
Summit Quarry/Everson Const.-Temporary and permanent amendments due to CTH Q project
o Mr. Freund believed Department of Industry, Labor & Human Relations limits blasting to 4:00 pm. Mr. Freund said he will call DILHR.
• The stone material will be crushed and stockpiled for sale by Evenson. The County is doing a material exchange for the porject with Evenson.
• The bypass gate will remain open during the project for traffic to and from the Bertrams. The scale gate will be closed during off hours of operation.
Board of Appeals member's discussion was as follows:
Temporary amendments were identified as the following:
The quarry ingress and egress will be used by the highway project contractor, the Bertrams, their visitors and their employees on a 24 hour a day basis during the roadway reconstruction.
Topsoil and clay material from the roadway will be used in the quarry for berming along CTH QQ and CTH Q. It was noted that the quarry's Reclamation Plan filed with Fond du Lac County has given approval of the use of this fill material.
Rock material blasted from the roadway will be hauled into the quarry, crushed and stockpiled for sale.
Conditions contained in the Conditional Use Permit issued to Summit Quarry and Evenson do not apply to the highway reconstruction project.
The highway project contractor(s) will use the lower farm driveway for ingress and egress to the quarry, as needed.
The temporary conditions noted above will expire October 30th, 2011, or project completion; whichever occurs first.
The blasting subcontractor noted that the shots will be about 20% per hole of what is used in the quarry. The shots are more controlled and less intense. He also noted that explosives will not be stored on the site. The blaster added that shots after 5:00 will be rare. A Board of Appeals member asked the blaster to consider providing direct notice of each blast if provided with phone numbers. The blaster responded that the blasts will be on a very small scale.
Jim Rosenthal motioned to approve the temporary amendments as noted above, seconded by John Buechel.
Roll call vote:
Erv Karls aye
John Buechel aye
Jim Rosenthal aye
Gale Burg aye Motion carried (4-0).
Erv Karls motioned to adjourn the public hearing at 7:46 p.m., seconded by Jim Rosenthal. Motion carried (4-0).
Brenda A. Schneider
|Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home